Wish Lists – Donations
We look forward to seeing you at FWC’s fall events, and we invite you to bring an infant clothing item in a preemie, newborn, 0-3 month, or 3-6 month size — or an adult item, such as socks or underwear — for Parkland’s patients in need. We hope to start our year with a couple of generous donation deliveries, after the quiet months of late spring and summer. Please note that Parkland’s updated Wish List includes 3-6 month infant sizes, which we did not specify in the last newsletter article. We will be collecting items at all FWC events, including book group meetings.
Thank you on behalf of grateful Parkland staff, and most of all, patients and their families!
We would like to share a note from Madeleine Pennington, Child Life Specialist at Parkland’s Newborn Nursery, about how our donations for infants are used and the difference they make:
Thank you so very much for all of the wonderful items donated by the Faculty Women’s Club! We are so grateful for your generosity. We are constantly working with low-income families who have little to nothing ready for their baby upon discharge from the hospital. With donations, we are able to provide clothing and supplies that help reduce some of the stress of bringing a new baby home.
In the NNICU we have babies who are here for weeks and even months in some cases. Some who have the longest stays are the drug-exposed infants. Many of these babies do not have family or people who come visit them and often end up in the foster care system. We use the clothes you donate for these babies throughout their stay. We, of course, then send these items home with the baby, wherever that may be. The preemie clothing is an important resource for us, as most families are not anticipating having such a tiny baby. We are able to provide them with clothes that fit their child properly. The warm preemie pajamas are in high demand during the winter.
A large part of my job as a child life specialist is assessing the needs of our families and meeting them in the best way I can. Infant supplies are typically at the very top of the list for Parkland families and they are SO grateful for any assistance we can provide them. Again, thank you for all that you do. We are so grateful!!
- Personal care items (deodorant, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, combs, picks, hairbrushes, travel-size shampoo and conditioner, lip balm, hand/body lotion, denture cleaner/cups)
- Paperback novels and books with large print, magnifying glasses
- Bathrobes (large sizes)
- Flip-flop shoes (men’s and women’s)
- Men’s and women’s sweatpants and sweatshirts (size M, L, XL, XXL)
- Men’s T-shirts, underwear, and socks (all sizes)
- Women’s panties (for assault victims), T-shirts, and socks
- Knitted hats
- Throw-size blankets and full-size quilts/blankets
- Bathrobes and pajamas (any size)
- Adult slippers/socks (no skid with bottom grips)
- Sleeping eye masks
- Personal care items (soap, shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, lotions, toothbrushes, toothpaste, hair accessories, nail care, makeup, facial care)
- Laundry detergent
- Adult books/novels in Spanish or English
- Puzzle books in English or Spanish (Crossword, Sudoku, word search)
- DVDs (comedy, drama, romance, etc.)
- Craft items, board games, playing cards
Adolescent Trauma Unit/Palliative Care Unit
- Chapstick/lip balm, hair accessories, and nail care items (polish, remover pads, files)
- Hidden picture books (I Spy, Where’s Waldo, etc.)
- DVDs (teen-friendly PG-13 and below, English or Spanish)
- Arts and crafts (felt coloring posters, scrapbook, and related items)
- Markers, colored pencils, and crayons
- Puzzle books (Sudoku, word search, crossword)
- Board games (Clue, Battleship, Sorry, Trouble, Scrabble, etc.)
- Playing cards (Uno, Phase10, Skip-bo, etc.)
- Magazines (sports, entertainment, fashion, decorating, arts/crafts, hunting/fishing, cars/motorcycles)
- Soft blankets
When bringing donations to any FWC event, please look for Gloria Rege, Mary Greene, or Karen Westergaard. Donations may also be dropped off or you can bring them to the AM Book Group meetings for pick up by Mary Greene. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Thank you for supporting these projects!