- Cenik BK, Ostapoff KT, Gerber DE and Brekken RA. BIBF 1120 (Nintedanib), a triple angiokinase inhibitor, induces hypoxia but EMT and blocks progression of preclinical models of lung and pancreatic cancer. Mol. Can. Therapeutics 2013; 12:992-1001. PMCID: PMC3681897
- Ostapoff KT, Awasthi N, Cenik BK, Hinz S, Dredge KE, Schwarz RE and Brekken RA. PG545, an angiogenesis and heparanase inhibitor, reduces primary tumor growth, EMT and metastasis in experimental pancreatic cancer. Mol. Can. Therapeutics 2013; 12:1190-1201 PMID: 23696215 (cover)
- Aguilera K and Brekken RA. Recruitment and retention: Factors that affect pericyte migration. Cell and Molecular Life Sciences (in press).
Dellinger MT, Meadows SM, Wynne K, Cleaver O and Brekken RA. Vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 promotes the development of the lymphatic vasculature. PLoS ONE 2013 (in press)
- Arnold SA, Rivera LB, Carbon JG, Toombs JE, Chang CL, Roland CL, Kirane AK, Bradshaw AD, and Brekken RA. Inhibition of TGFβ1 with losartan is sufficient to curtail metastasis and extend survival of SPARC-null mice bearing pancreatic carcinoma. PLoS ONE 2012;7:e31384 PMCID: PMC3279359
- Kirane A, Toombs JE, Larsen JE, Ostapoff K, Meshaw KR, Zaknoen S, Brekken* RA and Burrows* FJ. Epithelial to mesenchymal transition increases tumor sensitivity to COX-2 inhibition by apricoxib. Carcinogenesis (in press) *corresponding authors,
- Kirane A, Toombs JE, Ostapoff K, Carbon JG, Zaknoen S, Braunfeld J, Schwarz RE, Burrows FJ and Brekken RA. Inhibition of COX-2 with apricoxib enhances the efficacy of standard therapy in preclinical models of pancreatic cancer. Clin. Can. Res. (in press).
- Lynn KD and Brekken RA. Anti-VEGF therapy revived by c-Met inhibition, but is c-Met the answer? Cancer Discovery 2012; 2:211-213. PMID: 22585992.
- Gerber DE, Gupta P, Dellinger MT, Toombs JE, Peyton M, Dunignan I, Malaby J, Bailey T, Burns C, Brekken RA and Loizos N. Stromal platelet-derived growth factor receptor α (PDGFRα) provides a therapeutic target independent of tumor cell PDGFRα expression in lung cancer xenografts. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics 2012; 11:2473-2482. PMCID:PMC3495993
- Rivera LB and Brekken RA. SPARC promotes pericyte recruitment via inhibition of endoglin-dependent TGFβ1 activity. Journal of Cell Biology 2011; 193: 1305-1319. PMCID: PMC3216331
- Dellinger MT and Brekken RA. VEGF-A activation of VEGFR2 promotes lymphangiogenesis via the ERK1/2 and PI3-K/AKT signaling pathways. PLoS ONE 2011; 6:e29047 PMCID: PMC3236226
- Arnold SA, Rivera LB, Miller AF, Carbon JG, Dineen SP, Castrillon DH, Xie Y, Sage EH, Puolakkainen P, Bradshaw AD, and Brekken RA. Lack of host SPARC enhances vascular function and accelerates metastasis in an orthotopic murine model of pancreatic carcinoma. Disease Models and Mechanisms 2010; 3:57-72. PMCID: PMC2806901
- Schluterman MK, Chapman SL, Korpanty G, Ozumi K, Fukai T, Yanagisawa H and Brekken RA. Loss of endogenous fibulin-5 inhibits pancreatic tumor growth by increasing the level of ROS in the tumor microenvironment. Disease Models and Mechanisms 2010; 3:333-342. PMCID: PMC2860852
- Dineen SP, Roland CL, Greer R, Carbon JG, Toombs JE, Gupta P, Bardeesy N, Sun H, Williams N, Minna JD, and Brekken RA. Smac mimetic increases chemotherapy response and improves survival in mice with pancreatic cancer. Cancer Research 2010; 70:2852-2861. PMCID: PMC2848888
- Sullivan LA, Carbon JG, Roland CL, Toombs JE, Nyquist-Andersen M, Kavlie A, Schlunegger K, Richardson JA, and Brekken RA. r84, a novel therapeutic antibody against mouse and human VEGF with potent anti-tumor activity and limited toxicity induction. PLoS ONE 2010; 5(8). pii: e12031. PMCID: PMC2917360.
- Lynn KD, Udugamasooriya DG, Roland CL, Castrillon DH, Kodadek TJ, and Brekken RA. GU81, a VEGFR2 antagonist peptoid, enhances the anti-tumor activity of doxorubicin in the murine MMTV-PyMT transgenic model of breast cancer. BMC Cancer 2010; 10:397. PMCID: PMC2920882
- Bull-Phelps SL, Carbon JG, Miller AF, Castro-Rivera E, Arnold S, Miller DS, Brekken* RA and Lea* JS. SPARC as a regulator of ovarian cancer growth and chemosensitivity. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2009; 200:180.e1-7 *co-corresponding authors. PMID: 18992864
- Dineen SP, Payton PA, Beck AW, Miller AF, Carbon JG, Mamluk R, Wong H and Brekken RA. The Adnectin CT-322 is a novel VEGF receptor 2 inhibitor that decreases tumor burden in an orthotopic mouse model of pancreatic cancer. BMC Cancer 2008; 8:352. PMCID: PMC2627916
- Roland* CL, Dineen* SP, Lynn* KD, Sullivan LA, Dellinger MT, Sadegh L, Sullivan JP, Shames DS, and Brekken, RA. Inhibition of VEGF reduces angiogenesis and modulates immune cell infiltration of orthotopic breast cancer xenografts. Mol. Can. Ther. 2009; 8: 1761-1771. *, equal contribution
- Roland CL, Lynn KD, Toombs JE, Dineen SP, Udugamasooriya DG, and Brekken RA. Cytokine levels correlate with immune cell infiltration after anti-VEGF therapy in preclinical models of breast cancer. PLoS ONE 2009; 4:e7669. PMCID: 2766251
- Dineen SP, Lynn KD, Holloway SE, Miller AF, Sullivan JP, Shames DS, Beck AW, Barnett CC, Fleming JB and Brekken RA. VEGFR2 mediates macrophage infiltration into orthotopic pancreatic tumors in mice. Cancer Research 2008; 68:4340 – 4346.
- Arnold S, Mira E, Muneer S, Korpanty G, Beck AW, Holloway SE, Manes S and Brekken RA. Forced expression of MMP9 rescues the loss of angiogenesis and abrogates metastasis of pancreatic tumors triggered by the absence of host SPARC. Exp. Biol. Med. 2008; 23:860 – 873. *Best Basic Science Paper in 2008, SEBM PMCID: PMC2459223