The STARS Triathlon is targeted to high school biology teachers in the Dallas Independent School District.
We especially invite teachers from the following schools to apply: W.H. Adamson, A. Maceo Smith, Thomas Jefferson, Justin F. Kimball, Lincoln, James Madison, L.G. Pinkston, Franklin D. Roosevelt, W.W. Samuell, Seagoville, South Oak Cliff, H. Grady Spruce, and Sunset. The STARS Triathlon provides teachers tools to improve classroom instruction.
The STARS Triathlon consists of three events:
STARS Triathlon Event 1
This 12-day workshop in late June prepares teachers to deliver laboratory exercises in biology to rising ninth-graders.
- Preparation and post-lab analysis are directed by coaches who are award-winning teachers themselves
- Teachers share best practices
- The last day of the session takes place at the Dallas Museum of Nature and Science
- A stipend is offered to participating teachers
- Students are selected from feeder middle schools in DISD
STARS Triathlon Event 2
STARS Triathlon Event 3
An eight-week program of summer research, Event 3 is part of our Summer Research Program for Teachers. Teachers are paired with science laboratories at UT Southwestern. Regular meetings and seminars allow teachers to share their experiences.