Nominations for Disease-Oriented Clinical Scholars (DOCS) awards will be reviewed by a committee of leading researchers from clinical and basic science departments. Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis, with no application deadlines. Funds will be available to select up to 5 DOCS awards each year, however, fewer awards may be granted depending on the availability of outstanding candidates.
The application will consist of the following:
- Complete attached application
- Budget of requested support using DOCS Program template
- Candidate's CV including research publications.
- Candidate's research statement. The candidate should provide a brief statement of research interests (not to exceed 3 pages), which should describe his/her past research training and the expected research plan as a DOCS awardee.
- Letters of recommendation. Three letters of recommendation should be provided that comment on the candidate's research accomplishments and future promise.
- Examples of candidate's publications (up to 3).
- Chair letter. The department chair's letter, not to exceed 3 pages, will:
- Explain how the candidate's research will fit into the department's current and planned research enterprise
- Explain how the requested amount and timing of support is designed to optimally promote the candidate's research career development
- State the percent of the candidate's time that will be protected for research for the duration of the award
- Outline the additional support the department is prepared to offer the candidate should an award be made
- State the space and research facilities that will be assigned to the candidate to support his/her research. If appropriate, the chair should also state who will be available to serve as the candidate's research mentor and collaborators.