DOCS Application Information
Nominations for Disease-Oriented Clinical Scholars (DOCS) awards are reviewed by a committee of leading researchers from clinical and basic science departments. Candidates are considered on a rolling basis, with no application deadlines. Funds will be available to select up to five DOCS awards each year; however, fewer awards may be granted, depending on the availability of outstanding candidates.
The application consists of the following:
- Application form
- Budget of requested support using DOCS Program template
- Candidate's CV, including research publications
- Candidate's research statement – This brief statement of research interests should describe his/her past research training and the expected research plan as a DOCS awardee. The statement should not exceed three pages.
- Letters of recommendation (three) – Letters of recommendation should comment on the candidate's research accomplishments and future promise.
- Examples of candidate's publications (up to three)
- Letter from UT Southwestern Department Chair. The letter, not to exceed three pages, will:
- Explain how the candidate's research will fit into the department's current and planned research enterprise.
- Explain how the requested amount and timing of support is designed to optimally promote the candidate's research career development.
- State the percent of the candidate's time that will be protected for research for the duration of the award.
- Outline the additional support the department is prepared to offer the candidate should an award be made.
- State the space and research facilities that will be assigned to the candidate to support his or her research. If appropriate, the Chair should also state who will be available to serve as the candidate's research mentor and collaborators.