Health Professions Recruitment and Exposure Program (HPREP)
The Health Professions Recruitment and Exposure Program (HPREP) is an academically challenging enrichment program that offers minority and underrepresented high school students a glimpse of education and career opportunities in healthcare professions. Taught by UT Southwestern medical, graduate, and allied health students, faculty, and staff from diverse cultural backgrounds, HPREP helps high school students to understand the level of commitment needed to pursue a future in science and medicine.
The program begins with college day, during which parents and student are able to learn about financial aid and visit with recruiters at a college fair, and concludes with interactive career days, where students experience hands-on learning with mentors. In the 20 years since its inception, HPREP has included sessions such as:
- Preparing for College: College 101
- College Admissions and Financial Aid
- College Financial Aid preparation
- Occupations in medicine
- Tours of UT Southwestern Medical School Facilities
- Using the Medical School Library
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Blood Typing
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Teen Sexuality and Teen Violence presentation
- Disease Prevalence: Social Class and Race Disparities
- Sexually Transmitted Infections presentation
Students from local high schools who are interested in medicine, allied health careers, or science are encouraged to fill out an application online (available in September) to attend the program, which runs every Saturday for five weeks in January and February.
Successful Program Completion is accomplished by:
- Attending at least 4 of the 5 Saturday sessions
- Completing a mock college application and personal statement
- Completing an essay on an assigned topic
Upon successful completion of the HPREP program, all participants receive certificates of merit and a program T-Shirt.
The final day of HPREP, February 4, 2012, will consist of a special recognition luncheon to which parents/guardians will be invited.