Effective Teacher Series
The 2013-2014 Effective Teacher Series offers an exciting faculty development program featuring five new strands, new presenters, and favorite past presenters returning.
This year’s series highlights include:
- Georgia Harper, J.D., UT Austin’s Scholarly Communications Advisor, and Emilie Algenio will offer up-to date legal knowledge regarding copyright and fair use.
- Claudia DeShay, Ph.D., and Helen Mayo will provide new information on the library as a partner in education.
- Sara Hunt, lead staff editor for the MedEdPORTAL®, will present an overview of the enhanced services for Publications, explore the iCollaborative platform, and demonstrate how the Continuing Education Directory offers distinct opportunities for learning.
- New presenters Paul Pepe, M.D., and Jane Wigginton, M.D., begin the new strand on Teaching Methods with A Gemini approach to Optimizing Didactics.
- Seven faculty will highlight three different ways of designing instruction as part of the new Showcase: Instructional Design Strand. This strand was created because many faculty invent new ways to provide instruction.
- Sergio Huerta, M.D., will focus on "Resident as Teacher," part of the new Graduate Medical Education Strand.
- Shawna Nesbitt, M.D., will initiate the new Institutional Research Strand with data and a discussion on "How do UTSW students perform in relation to our Admission Policy?"
- Therona Ramos will demonstrate how 60 minutes using Endnote can save you more than 60 hours, part of the new strand, Research-Software Tool.
If you have any questions contact Palma J. Longo, Ph.D., Director of Instructional Development and Educational Research at email@example.com or Betty Shaw, course coordinator, in the Office of Medical Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|September 17, 2013||Online learning: What's copyright and fair use got to do with it?||Georgia Harper, J.D.: UT Austin Scholarly Communications Advisor, and Emilie Algenio||Educational Resources|
|October 1, 2013||The library is still your partner in education||Claudia DeShay, Ph.D.; Helen Mayo||Educational Resources|
|November 5, 2013||A Gemini approach for optimizing didactics||Paul Pepe, M.D.; Jane Wigginton, M.D.||Teaching Methods|
|November 19, 2013||An interactive electronic health record module for interprofessional education||Susan Simpkins, Ed.D.; Bernadette Latson, M.S.; Jennie Hocking, M.P.A.S.; Kimberly Hoggatt Krumwiede, M.A.||Showcase: Interprofessional Education Instructional Design|
|December 3, 2013||Resident as teacher||Sergio Huerta, M.D.||Graduate Medical Education|
|December 17, 2013||Flipping the Classroom: We are virtually there!||David Greenberg, M.D.; Francesca Lee, M.D.||Showcase: Instructional Design|
|January 21, 2014||Blended learning – Part 1||Christopher Faulkner, UTSW Educational Technology Specialist, Ph.D. Candidate||Educational Technology|
|February 4, 2014||Promises & pitfalls of using Moodle for quizzes in clinical medicine||James Wagner, M.D.||Showcase: Instructional Design|
|February 18, 2014||Blended learning – Part 2||Christopher Faulkner, UTSW Educational Technology Specialist, Ph.D. Candidate||Educational Technology|
|March 4, 2014||Endnote: 60 minutes will save you 60+…. hours||Therona Ramos, M.A.||Research-Software Tool|
|March 18, 2014||So you have been asked to give a talk! - The Ten Commandments||Jennifer Cuthbert, M.D.||Communication Skills|
|April 1, 2014||Education Week – SWAT||TBA||TBA|
|April 15, 2014||How do UTSW students perform in relation to our admission policy?||Shawna Nesbitt, M.D.||Institutional Research|
Accreditation: UT Southwestern Medical Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation: UT Southwestern Medical Center designates this educational activity for a maximum of one AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Off-Label Uses: Because this course is meant to educate physicians with what is currently in use and what may be available in the future, there may be “off-label” use discussed in the presentation. Speakers have been requested to inform the audience when off-label use is discussed.
Disclosure: It is UT Southwestern’s policy that participants in CME activities should be made aware of any affiliation or financial interest that may affect the speaker's presentations. Each speaker has completed and signed a conflict of interest statement. The faculty members’ relationships will be disclosed in the handout.