Chief Residents' Welcome
Welcome to UT Southwestern Medical Center! As the 2012-2013 chief residents, we would like to introduce you to our program here in Dallas, Texas. As Paul Pepe, M.D., our Chairman always says, our mission is one of public service and education, and we hope to impart that message to you as you browse our website.
Our program has made huge leaps and bounds in the past several years, including:
- Asynchronous learning – As emergency physicians, we all know that we learn best by doing, not by sitting in a classroom. Therefore part of our conference time is spent outside of a classroom in various activities including Journal Club, EMS rideouts, ultrasound shifts, simulation…the possibilities are endless!
- Fellowships – We offer fellowship programs in Toxicology, Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Emergency Medical Services, Government Emergency Medicine Security Services (GEMSS), Practice Management/Health Policy, International, Ultrasound, and an EM-to-Critical Care fellowship track.
- New Zealand – We have the opportunity to practice emergency medicine for 2 months in New Zealand! All expenses paid! Residents in New Zealand present patients to you.
- Amazing Faculty – We have two past ACEP presidents on staff, 13 board certified toxicologists, and the Chairman of the IRB is one of our very own.
- Resident participation in state-wide and national organized medicine – We have residents serving at the national level on EMRA critical care and health policy committees, along with the Texas College of Emergency Physicians (TCEP) and the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP). We also have members serving as delegates to the Texas Medical Association.
- Not to mention the restructuring of the ED…Video at NBC About The Redesigned Flow in the ED
Parkland Memorial Hospital is your quintessential county program – we are the safety-net hospital for indigent care in Dallas County, and proudly so. The taxpayers of Dallas County have voted to support the building of a brand NEW Parkland Hospital (a new $1.2 billion dollar hospital), for which the groundbreaking recently took place in November 2010. Feel free to explore the new campus and follow it's construction progress
We take care of everyone and everything, from homeless people to presidents, from blisters to acute MIs. We are also home to a regional burn center (and the Parkland burn formula), level 1 adult trauma center, and some of the premier internal medicine, surgery, and ob/gyn programs in the country. Only a few steps away from our ED is Children’s Medical Center Dallas – one of two level 1 pediatric trauma centers in Texas, where we train with world-renowned pediatric EM faculty. The pediatric experience is second to none.
So take a look around, familiarize yourself with our home away from home, and feel free to contact any of us if you have any questions. We hope that you enjoy looking around this website as much as we have enjoyed making it.
Ed Austin, M.D.
Stephanie Fuller, D.O.
Kyle Vannguyen, M.D.
Drew Weinerl, M.D.
Joe Young, D.O.
Chief Residents 2012-2013