Residency Information and Highlights
One of the strengths of the teaching program is the extensive interaction between staff and residents. More than 133 clinical faculty members and 35 Ph.D. research faculty are dedicated to the education of future radiologists.
- Residents participate in daily faculty-led conferences and weekly mega conferences, as well as experience hands-on learning at PACS workstations and through direct patient interactions.
- Residents participate in multidisciplinary conferences with faculty and other clinical services.
- Residents and faculty members learn and participate in research initiatives, including presentations of individual projects during Research Day.
Varied Clinical Experiences
The Department of Radiology performs more than 900,000 radiology exams across our diverse facilities annually. As a resident, you’ll have experience at:
- Parkland Hospital – 862 beds; county hospital with Level I trauma center; the primary teaching institution for UT Southwestern.
- UT Southwestern University Hospitals: a 12-floor, 460-room patient-centered hospital that utilizes innovative design, advanced technology, and best practices to provide excellence in care, and, a 152-bed facility recognized as one of the world’s premier neurological diagnostic and treatment centers.
- Children’s Health℠ Children's Medical Center Dallas – 406-bed private hospital with Level I trauma center with associated clinic system; more than 50 pediatric specialty programs.
Clinical and Education Resources
Radiology residents at UT Southwestern have the resources to succeed in the practice of medicine and in the development of clinical knowledge and skills.
Imaging Equipment and Information Technology
- State-of-the-art imaging resources across all facilities
- PACS and voice recognition across all facilities
- EPIC – Electronic medical records, work orders, and scheduling
- Medhub – Residency management software suite
- Clinical and study resource STATdx and RADPrimer
- Departmental licensure for project and publication development software
- UT Southwestern library with extensive electronic journal subscriptions
- Radiology resident library with latest journals and ACR learning discs; computer access
- Award-winning medical graphics group
- Private study lounge
UT Southwestern is one of the nation’s premier research centers. We offer radiology residents outstanding resources to conduct leading-edge research.
Advanced Imaging Research Center – Created in 2005 as a collaborative effort between UT Southwestern and other institutions in North Texas to further the efforts of imaging and translational research
- Departmental statistician
- Five whole-body MRI units: One 7T and four 3T
- MRI hyperpolarization
- Positron emission mammography
- Research and Clinical Grand Rounds Lecture Series
- Small animal MR, SPECT, PET, and CT
- Recently installed 16.5MeV Cyclotron
- Support from the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) plus a Clinical and Translational Research Award from the NIH
- BOLD and TOLD Contrast MRI
- Bone metabolism
- Contrast agent development
- Diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) neonatal
- Fetal MRI
- High-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU)
- Hypoxic-ischemic injury
- Imaging infection and inflammation
- PET and radiochemistry
- Prostate cancer
- Quantitative MRI
- Renal cancer MRI