Residency: Educational Curriculum
All residents are provided textbooks at the start of their residency and as new editions are published. Currently these include:
- Williams Obstetrics, 23rd edition
- Williams Gynecology, 1st edition
- Harrison's Manual of Medicine, 17th edition
Monthly reading assignments are made from selected texts to assist educational development and prepare for the CREOG and ABOG tests. Eleven examinations cover the readings throughout the academic year. Satisfactory performance on the examinations is necessary for promotion to the next level of residency training.
Resident research projects are encouraged and facilitated by clinical faculty.
Progress during the residency training is monitored by the Advisory Group for Resident Education Committee. Monthly evaluations of residents are performed by faculty in writing and in person. All evaluations are entered in E*Value, a web-based system. Residents evaluate faculty and the rotations monthly, as well. Residents are assigned faculty mentors that meet with them at least twice yearly to discuss their progress toward graduation. The AGRE Committee also monitors our compliance with the ACGME work hours requirements to assure a proper work and learning environment.
Resident attendance at local and national obstetrics and gynecology CME activities is supported. The annual Southwest Gynecologic Assembly in Dallas is an outstanding three-day clinical meeting open to residents at departmental expense. Residents receive an additional stipend of $2,000 to attend an approved postgraduate course during their residency.
Wednesday mornings are devoted to the following conferences:
- 7:30 a.m. Gyn Pre-Op Conference
- 7:30 a.m. Interns' Conference
- 8:00 a.m. Oncology Tumor Board
- 8:30 a.m. L&D Conference
- 9:00 a.m. Obstetric Case Presentation and Grand Rounds
- 10 a.m. Core Curriculum Conference
- 11 a.m. Gynecologic Grand Rounds (Alternating Endocrinology, Gynecologic Oncology, Urogynecology and Gynecology)
- Noon PGY Class Level Meetings
Additionally, each division and service has their individual working, journal clubs, and informational weekly conferences.