How to Apply: Adult Neurology Residency
All applications for the UT Southwestern Adult Neurology Residency Program should be made using the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS.)
The neurology match uses the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP).
The UT Southwestern Adult Neurology Residency Program has nine positions available each year for a categorical 4-year neurology program (which includes a PGY-1 year in Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center). Categorical applicants do not need to apply separately to the UT Southwestern preliminary/internal medicine program.
Please make sure the following information is included with your ERAS application:
- MSPE or Dean's letter (from your medical school)
- Minimum of three letters of recommendation
- Medical school transcripts.
- USMLE or COMLEX transcripts for parts I and II
- ECFMG certificate (applies to International Medical Graduates only)
IMPORTANT: All of the above documentation must be submitted prior to rank list submission. Applications will be considered and interviews offered even if Step 2 scores are not yet available, but successful completion of Step 2 (COMLEX or USMLE) is required before ranking.
The program will review all applications received. Interviews will be granted on a competitive basis and you will be contacted via email to schedule an interview.
A competitive application would contain:
- An impressive CV that includes volunteer service, academic awards/achievements, extracurricular activities, research, etc.
- A strong medical school transcript.
- Strong USMLE/COMLEX scores.
- Outstanding letters of recommendation.
- A well-written and memorable personal statement.
Dates to Remember
September 2015: Applications may be submitted through ERAS
October through January: Interview sessions at UT Southwestern
December 1, 2015: Application deadline for UT Southwestern Neurology Program
January 2016: Rank list entry opens
February 2016: Rank Lists Due
March 14–18, 2016: MATCH WEEK!
The Department of Neurology and Neurotherapeutics will invite candidates for a one-day visit and interviews during the fall. Visits will be offered on Wednesdays from late October through January. We provide hotel accommodations and a casual dinner with our current residents on Tuesday night prior to the interview.
Information for Non-U.S. applicants (IMG)
- All applications should be sent through ERAS.
- The program will sponsor J-1 Visa (H-1B visas cannot be supported).
- Evidence of clinic experience in U.S. (observerships etc.) is preferred.
- IMG candidates should have passed USMLE Step I and II (both parts) and ECFMG.
- There are no specific requirements; invitations are made based on a combination of factors, including USMLE scores, recommendation letters, clinical experience, and other factors (research, etc.).