Endocrinology Clinical Training
The Endocrinology and Metabolism Fellowship Program comprises myriad clinical rotations throughout the training period to cover the breadth of endocrinology. Most clinical training is provided in the first year, during which fellows cover the inpatient consult services or the inpatient diabetes unit and attend a variety of clinics at the different training sites. Our second-year fellows primarily work on their research projects while continuing to gain valuable clinical experience in their continuity clinics once or twice a week.
Parkland Memorial Hospital is a large, 862-bed county hospital, which provides medical care for a large indigent population. William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital and Zale Lipshy University Hospital are the university teaching hospitals for UT Southwestern Medical Center. The Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center provides care to the veterans of North Texas.
Fellows rotate through the inpatient consult services of these hospitals, the inpatient diabetes unit service at Parkland, and attend a variety of outpatient specialty and continuity clinics at Parkland as well as the VA Medical Center.
Each clinical site provides insights into a unique patient population, thus making the clinical exposure quite comprehensive. Each patient encounter is directly supervised by an endocrinology attending, providing for consistent one-on-one bedside teaching throughout the training years.
Inpatient Endocrine Consult Service at UT Southwestern University Hospitals
This rotation provides opportunities to learn about the management of acute thyroid presentations, adrenal disorders, pituitary/sellar masses, sodium and calcium abnormalities, and other endocrinology-related medical problems. Each first-year fellow will complete three one-month rotations on this service.
Inpatient Endocrine and Diabetes Consult Service at Parkland Hospital
This rotation provides opportunities to learn about the management of acute thyroid presentations, adrenal disorders, pituitary/sellar masses, sodium and calcium abnormalities, diabetic issues including DKA, hyperosmolar nonketosis syndromes, new onset diabetes and related complications, and other endocrinology-related medical problems. Each first-year fellow will complete three one-month rotations on this service.
Inpatient Endocrine and Diabetes Consult Service at VA Medical Center
Fellows provide inpatient consultation services at the VA Medical Center for the veteran population. Each first-year fellow completes three one-month rotations on this service.
- Parkland Endocrine Clinic – Tuesday morning (first year fellow) and Thursday afternoon (second year fellow)
- Parkland Diabetes Clinic – Wednesday morning VA Medical Center
- Endocrine Clinic – Monday morning and afternoon VA diabetes/insulin pump clinic – Wednesday morning
- Aston Endocrine Clinic – variable time (second year fellow)
- Parkland Lipid Clinic – Monday morning
- Parkland Multidisciplinary Endocrine Tumor Clinic – Tuesday afternoon (monthly)
- Parkland Mineral Metabolism Clinic – Thursday afternoon
- FNA Clinic – Wednesday morning
- VA Medical Center
- Diabetes Clinic – Tuesday morning
- Osteoporosis Clinic – Thursday morning
- Lipid Clinic – Friday morning
- Weight and Wellness – Friday morning
- A-Pituitary – Friday morning
- Parkland Reproductive Endocrine Clinic – Friday morning
- Children’s Health℠ Children's Medical Center Pediatric Endocrine Clinic – Thursday morning
- Internal Medicine Grand Rounds – Friday morning
- Endocrine Grand Rounds – Friday afternoon
- Endocrine lectures by faculty – Friday afternoon
- Case presentation by endocrine fellows – Friday afternoon
- Journal club by endocrine fellows – Friday afternoon
- REI conference – Monday noon
- ABC conference – Thursday noon
- Pituitary conference – Friday afternoon
- Multidisciplinary thyroid cancer conference – Friday afternoon
- Board reviews – Friday afternoon