Postgraduate Advanced Practice Provider Emergency Medicine Fellowship
The UT Southwestern Emergency Medicine Advanced Practice Provider (APP) Program is an intensive, one-year postgraduate fellowship for licensed and certified acute care nurse practitioners (NP) and physician assistants (PA).
Under the direction of Andra L. Blomkalns, M.D., Thea Klaas, PA-C, and Rhonda Hough, D.N.P., R.N., CPNP-AC, Advanced Practice Provider fellows will be educated in acute care and emergency medicine principles and be capable of working in an emergency department upon completion. Experiences will be provided in both academic and community settings. Our graduates will be highly marketable; the need for these specialty-trained practitioners is great and increasing.
Fellowship Program Highlights
Same core lectures and board review sessions as the UT Southwestern Emergency Medicine Department's physician residents. Conferences review all common topics in emergency medicine and also include case reviews, invited guest speakers, and interdepartmental collaboration on specific topics in emergency medicine.
- Develop a diverse differential diagnosis with diagnostic and treatment plan based on the patient's presenting symptoms along with evidence-based, cost-effective medical care.
- Advance competence in common treatment procedures for emergency medicine patients.
- Cultivate leadership and process improvement skills.
- Increase the ability to effectively lead a multidisciplinary team in critical and complex cases.
- Improve critical-thinking skills in emergency medicine.
Abstract/Manuscript or Clinical Quality Project
Each APP fellow is required to develop and submit a professional abstract/manuscript to a peer-reviewed journal or an abstract to a professional conference; or a comprehensive and professional clinical quality project.
Candidates will begin the application process during October–November, with Program commencement in April. Invitations to interview will be sent in October.
Applications will be available via the UT Southwestern Careers website.