How to Apply
Residency Application Requirements
Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to accredited residency programs at UT Southwestern Medical Center:
- Graduates of medical schools in the United States and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the United States accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- Graduates of medical schools outside the United States and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), and
- Have an ECFMG-sponsored J-1 visa or INS issued employment authorization
- Graduates of medical schools outside the United States who have completed a Fifth Pathway program* provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
*Fifth Pathway Program
A Fifth Pathway program is an academic year of supervised clinical education provided by an LCME-accredited medical school to students who meet the following conditions:
Have completed, in an accredited college or university in the United States, undergraduate premedical education of the quality acceptable for matriculation in an accredited United States Medical school
Have studied at a medical school outside the United States and Canada but listed in the World Health Organization Directory of Medical Schools
Have competed all of the formal requirements of the foreign medical school except internship and/or social service
Have attained a score satisfactory to the sponsoring medical school on a screening examination
Have passed with the foreign Medical Graduate Examination in the Medical Sciences, Parts I and II of the examination of the National Board of Medical Examiners, or Steps 1 and 2 of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE)
Programs select from among eligible applicants on the basis of their preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills, and personal qualities such as motivation and integrity. Programs do not discriminate with regard to sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Where available, programs will participate in an organized matching program, such as the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). To access individual program websites, please visit Residency Programs and/or Fellowship Programs.