The Peter O’Donnell Jr. Brain Institute aims to advance our understanding of brain diseases and injury. The ultimate goal: improve treatment or, better yet, prevent such illnesses and injuries from ever occurring.
For those suffering from brain diseases and disorders ranging from Alzheimer’s to aggressive brain tumors to traumatic brain injuries, “there is no cure” is heard all too often. Through the O’Donnell Brain Institute, we will offer advanced diagnostic capabilities and treatment options for patients for the full spectrum of brain, spine, muscle, nerve, and psychiatric disorders.
We will offer more than 200 areas of specialty care, including:
- Brain and skull base tumors
- Movement disorders
- Cognitive neurodegenerative/memory disorders (including Alzheimer’s disease)
- Epilepsy and seizure disorders
- Headache and facial pain
- Spine conditions
- Multiple sclerosis
- Neuromuscular conditions and diseases
- Psychiatric and psychological disorders
- Sleep and breathing disorders
- Traumatic brain injuries (including concussions)
- Cerebrovascular Disorders
Zale Lipshy University Hospital serves as the cornerstone of inpatient care provided through the O’Donnell Brain Institute. With 148 beds, it is among the world’s premier neurological diagnostic and treatment centers – serving as a major referral hospital for North Texas and the southwestern part of the United States.
Zale Lipshy offers:
- A multiroom, multimodal neuroangiography suite and hybrid neuro-angio operating room providing both diagnostic and minimally invasive treatment interventions
- Advanced imaging technology, including an Aquilion One 320-slice CT scanner and 3T MRI
- A 20-bed neuro intensive care unit (ICU) staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week by physicians trained in neurology and critical care
- The only Gamma Knife Icon System available in North Texas, a completely robotic radiosurgical system that improves stereotactic radio surgery options
- An 18-inpatient psychiatric unit, supported by active ECT and neuromodulation programs that serve both inpatients and outpatients
- A 36-bed inpatient rehabilitation unit
Because of the expanse of our clinical programs, our clinicians see patients at a variety of locations, including clinics on UT Southwestern’s main campus, the Clinical Center at Richardson/Plano, and the Clinical Center at Park Cities.
Our clinicians also provide care to patients at UT Southwestern’s William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital, Parkland Health & Hospital System, the North Texas VA Hospital, and Children’s Health, as well as other partner facilities.