The Office for Technology Development (OTD) team of intellectual property experts provides an essential service to the UT Southwestern research community to promote effective and strategic partnerships in academic labs as well as industry through agreements related to UT Southwestern intellectual property (IP).
OTD internships offer valuable opportunities for introducing postdoctoral students to the biomedical technology commercialization processes at UT Southwestern. Benefits to interns include:
- The opportunity to develop an understanding of University intellectual property activities.
- The opportunity to learn new marketable skills such as market research and analysis, and assessment of new technologies for commercialization.
- The opportunity to collaborate in teams with other interns to complete project goals.
Please see the required internship components.
Internship Program Goals
- Educate interns on the process of intellectual property management and biomedical technology commercialization in a university setting
- Provide pertinent training in licensing, negotiation, and market research and analysis
- Provide interns the opportunity to engage with IP experts in order to develop a quality learning experience
- Must have an interest in biomedical technology commercialization (patent process, licensing, venture development)
- Must be employed by UT Southwestern and have M.D., Ph.D., or equivalent degree
- Written and verbal fluency in English
- Good communication skills
- As part of the application process, the candidate must obtain a letter of endorsement from the Department or Center Chair and Principal Investigator (PI)