J-1 Visa Checklist:
New or Extension J-1
Documents Needed from Visitor:
- Electronically submitted J-1 Application Form
- Updated curriculum vitae (CV)
- Copy of highest degree earned with English translation (if required)
- Diploma Not Available?
Provide a letter signed by the Dean of your School stating that you have completed all degree requirements and the date you will receive the diploma.
- Postgraduate Trainee, Postdoctoral Fellow I, or Postdoctoral Researcher II Appointment?
You must provide a Credential Equivalency Evaluation indicating your foreign degree is equivalent to a U.S. Ph.D. or M.D. degree.
- Documentation of health insurance and medical evacuation and repatriation insurance:
- Will you receive more than 50 percent of your funding from UT Southwestern?
Buy medical evacuation and repatriation insurance.
- Will your funding come from your home country or another external source? You must buy full health insurance and medical evacuation and repatriation insurance.
- See list of health insurance companies that meet J-1 requirements.
- Proof of insurance from your home country, with English translation, can be accepted.
See minimum required levels of insurance.
- If you will not be fully funded by UT Southwestern, you must provide documentation of financial support from an external organization.
Assistance for Postdoctoral Scholars
If your offer letter states you will be a Postgraduate Trainee, Postdoctoral Fellow I, or Postdoctoral Researcher II, ask to be matched with a “Postdoc Buddy.”
Assistant for Chinese Nationals Coming To UT Southwestern
Get pre- and post-arrival assistance from the Chinese Students and Scholars Association at UT Southwestern.
Documents Needed from UTSW Department:
- Completed J-1 Visa Departmental Application
- For Postdoctoral Scholars Only: Copy of Approved Offer Letter
- For M.D.s who will have incidental patient contact (teaching, research, and/or observation positions): Prepare a “5-Point Letter” (download sample letter)