J-1 Visa Checklist:
New or Extension J-1

Documents Needed from Visitor:

  • Electronically submitted J-1 Application Form
  • Updated curriculum vitae (CV)
  • Copy of highest degree earned with English translation (if required)
    • Diploma Not Available?
      Provide a letter signed by the Dean of your School stating that you have completed all degree requirements and the date you will receive the diploma.
    • Postgraduate Trainee, Postdoctoral Fellow I, or Postdoctoral Researcher II Appointment?
      You must provide a Credential Equivalency Evaluation indicating your foreign degree is equivalent to a U.S. Ph.D. or M.D. degree.
  • Documentation of health insurance and medical evacuation and repatriation insurance:
  • If you will not be fully funded by UT Southwestern, you must provide documentation of financial support from an external organization.

Assistance for Postdoctoral Scholars

If your offer letter states you will be a Postgraduate Trainee, Postdoctoral Fellow I, or Postdoctoral Researcher II, ask to be matched with a “Postdoc Buddy.”

Assistant for Chinese Nationals Coming To UT Southwestern

Get pre- and post-arrival assistance from the Chinese Students and Scholars Association at UT Southwestern.

Documents Needed from UTSW Department:

  • Completed J-1 Visa Departmental Application
  • For Postdoctoral Scholars Only: Copy of Approved Offer Letter
  • For M.D.s who will have incidental patient contact (teaching, research, and/or observation positions): Prepare a “5-Point Letter” (download sample letter)

Print This Page