J-1 Visa Checklist:
New or Extension J-1
Documents Needed from Visitor:
- Electronically submitted J-1 Application Form
- Updated curriculum vitae (CV)
- Copy of highest degree earned with English translation (if required)
- Diploma Not Available?
Provide a letter signed by the Dean of your School stating that you have completed all degree requirements and the date you will receive the diploma.
- Postgraduate Trainee, Postdoctoral Fellow I, or Postdoctoral Researcher II Appointment?
You must provide a Credential Equivalency Evaluation indicating your foreign degree is equivalent to a U.S. Ph.D. or M.D. degree.
- Documentation of health insurance and medical evacuation and repatriation insurance:
- Will you receive a full time salary from UT Southwestern? If so, you are eligible for UTSW employee health insurance, but you must:
Buy medical evacuation and repatriation insurance.
- Will your funding come from your home country or another external source? You must buy two separate policies:
- If you will not be fully funded by UT Southwestern, you must provide documentation of financial support from an external organization.
Assistance for Postdoctoral Scholars
If your offer letter states you will be a Postgraduate Trainee, Postdoctoral Fellow I, or Postdoctoral Researcher II, ask to be matched with a “Postdoc Buddy.”
Assistance for Chinese Nationals Coming To UT Southwestern
Get pre- and post-arrival assistance from the Chinese Students and Scholars Association at UT Southwestern.
Documents Needed from UTSW Department:
- Completed J-1 Visa Departmental Application
- For Postdoctoral Scholars Only: Copy of Approved Offer Letter
- For M.D.s who will have incidental patient contact (teaching, research, and/or observation positions): Prepare a “5-Point Letter” (download sample letter)
- After arrival in Dallas please have the visa holder complete the Human Resources “New Employee Orientation” documents and submit them to the HR Records Division.