Checklist for an ECFMG J-1 Visa Request for International Clinical Trainee
For international clinical trainees who require a visa, UT Southwestern supports the J-1 "Alien Physician Trainee" visa sponsored through the Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates (ECMFG.) Consult the appropriate liaison person in the Office of International Affairs regarding possible exceptions to this policy.
NOTE: Contact International Affairs immediately if the prospective trainee is already in the U.S. under a visa classification other than the ECFMG J-1. Additional requirements may apply.
To initiate the ECFMG J-1 Visa Process, please provide the following three items to International Affairs as soon as trainee is selected and accepts the offer:
Completed ECFMG J-1 Departmental Application
A copy of the contract letter printed on letterhead, signed by the program director and the prospective clinical trainee, and containing the following information:
A copy of prospective trainee’s CV, including current address (if possible)
Upon receipt of items 1-3, International Affairs will identify which documents from the ECFMG J-1 checklist will be needed from the trainee and from the program to complete the application.
- To access the correct ECFMG checklist on your own you must understand the following terminology:
- ACGME Accredited Training Program: Approved by the American Council on Graduate Medical Education. and assigned an ACGME number
- Non-Standard Training Program: Cutting-edge training not yet recognized by ACGME but approved as a training pathway by the Texas Medical Board
- Initial ECFMG Sponsorship: Prospective trainee has never held ECFMG J-1 visa before and is asking to be issued that status for the first time
- Continuation of ECFMG Sponsorship: Prospective trainee already holds ECFMG J-1 visa for another U.S. training program and is asking for an extension of time to complete your program
- Various required forms, samples, and instructions are linked to each checklist
- ECFMG is quite strict regarding completion of forms and other documentation
- If you have any questions, please contact the appropriate liaison person in the Office of International Affairs before you complete the forms, to avoid delays and re-work.