How to Apply for an H-1B Visa

An application or “petition” must be sent to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for adjudication to apply for an H-1B visa. In the case of a new H-1B visa classification, employment may not begin until the petition is approved.

If applying for an extension of H-1B visa classification, filing a petition for an extension in a timely manner conveys automatic employment authorization while waiting for approval.

To facilitate prompt completion of preliminary steps, please scan and email copies of the first three items on the checklist as soon as possible.

Original copies of these documents as well as the remainder of the documents on the checklist must be submitted together to the Office of International Affairs, Mail Code 9011. A copy of the checklist should be on top. 

UT Southwestern Medical Center checks should be requested as early as possible and provided separately as soon as ready.