Checklist for H-1B Visas
(New, Extension, or Transfer)
- Forward link for this checklist page to prospective H-1B employee, who must provide Items Needed from Applicant
- Scan and email items 1-3 to the appropriate International Affairs advisor as soon as possible
- Deliver remaining documents with copy of checklist on top to NL 3.252 as soon as completed
(scanned copies are acceptable for all items except checks)
- Contact the appropriate International Affairs advisor with any questions
Items Needed from Department
1. ____ Job Description Form for H-1B Application (Download form)
2. ____ Export Controls Questionnaire (Download form)
3. ____ Internal Wage Documentation (Select appropriate option for type of position)
3A. ____ Postdoctoral Research Scholar Positions
____ Postdoc Pay Plan
____ Postdoc Spreadsheet including the beneficiary of the H-1B visa
3B. ____ Faculty Positions
Download and complete Wage Worksheet
3C. ____ Clinical Residents or Fellows
____ Current House Staff Pay Scale
____ Contract letter for offered period of clinical training indicating PGY level and salary
3D. ____ Classified Positions
Complete H-1B Classified Employee Application form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. ____ H-1B Agreement to Pay Costs Home
(Download agreement, edit, print on letterhead, and have Department Chair sign)
5. ____ Letter from supervisor
This 1-2 paragraph letters should outline job duties, incorporate the term "specialty occupation," and outline the minimum degree required for the position.
6. ____ For Faculty with Patient Care Responsibilities and Medical Residents/Fellows
6A. ____ Documentation of Texas permit
6B. ____ Documentation of passage of USMLE Steps I, II, and III
6C. ____ ECMFG Certificate (serves as credential equivalency evaluation)
7. ____ Fees
Use documentation available at the H-1B fees page to request UTSW checks payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Contact International Affairs with questions and to discuss any international travel plans.
8. ____ H-1B Application Fact Sheet
9. ____ Immigration History Form for H-1B Application
10. ____ Curriculum Vitae
11. ____ Copy of final degree, with English translation
12. ____ Degree equivalency evaluation, if foreign degree.
(See list of Credential Equivalency Evaluation entities)
13. ____ Copy of biographic visa and validity pages of passport
14. ____ Copies of all U.S. immigration status documents, if any
(e.g. I-94, I-20, DS-2019, I-797)
15. ____ Waiver of two year home residency requirement
16. ____ If currently in H-1B status, copies of paycheck summaries for previous 3 months
For Applicants with Dependents in the U.S.
17. ____ Copies of dependents' biographic, visa and validity pages, I-94 forms, and I-20, DS-2019, and/or I-797 forms.
18. ____ USCIS I-539 Form completed and signed by the primary dependent (usually spouse) with supplement completed for all other dependents.
19. ____ Fee (See H-1B Fees)