Checklist for H-1B Visas
(New, Extension, or Transfer)
- Forward link for this checklist page to prospective H-1B employee, who must provide Items Needed from Applicant
- Scan and email items 1-3 to the appropriate International Affairs advisor as soon as possible
- Deliver remaining documents with copy of checklist on top to NL 3.252 as soon as completed
(scanned copies are acceptable for all items except checks)
- Contact the appropriate International Affairs advisor with any questions
Items Needed from Department
1. ____ Job Description Form for H-1B Application (Download form)
2. ____ Export Controls Questionnaire (Download form)
3. ____ Internal Wage Documentation (Select appropriate option for type of position)
3A. ____ Postdoctoral Research Scholar Positions
____ Postdoc Pay Plan
____ Postdoc Spreadsheet including the beneficiary of the H-1B visa
3B. ____ Faculty Positions
Download and complete Wage Worksheet
3C. ____ Clinical Residents or Fellows
____ Current House Staff Pay Scale
____ Contract letter for offered period of clinical training indicating PGY level and salary
3D. ____ Classified Positions
Complete H-1B Actual Wage Worksheet for Classified Staff and send to email@example.com.
4. ____ H-1B Agreement to Pay Costs Home
(Download agreement, edit, print on letterhead, and have Department Chair sign)
5. ____ Letter from supervisor
This 1-2 paragraph letters should outline job duties, incorporate the term "specialty occupation," and outline the minimum degree required for the position.
6. ____ For Faculty with Patient Care Responsibilities and Medical Residents/Fellows
6A. ____ Documentation of Texas permit
6B. ____ Documentation of passage of USMLE Steps I, II, and III
6C. ____ ECMFG Certificate (serves as credential equivalency evaluation)
7. ____ Fees
Use documentation available at the H-1B fees page to request UTSW checks payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
8.____ New Employee Orientation documents
After arrival in Dallas please have the visa holder complete the Human Resources “New Employee Orientation” documents and submit them to the HR Records Division.
Contact International Affairs with questions and to discuss any international travel plans.
8. ____ H-1B Application Fact Sheet
9. ____ Immigration History Form for H-1B Application
10. ____ Curriculum Vitae
11. ____ Copy of final degree, with English translation
12. ____ Degree equivalency evaluation, if foreign degree.
(See list of Credential Equivalency Evaluation entities)
13. ____ Copy of biographic visa and validity pages of passport
14. ____ Copies of all U.S. immigration status documents, if any
(e.g. I-94, I-20, DS-2019, I-797)
15. ____ Waiver of two year home residency requirement
16. ____ If currently in H-1B status, copies of paycheck summaries for previous 3 months
For Applicants with Dependents in the U.S.
17. ____ Copies of dependents' biographic, visa and validity pages, I-94 forms, and I-20, DS-2019, and/or I-797 forms.
18. ____ USCIS I-539 Form completed and signed by the primary dependent (usually spouse) with supplement completed for all other dependents.
19. ____ Fee (See H-1B Fees)