Why UT Southwestern?
A wide range of factors combine to shape the UT Southwestern Medical Center experience. The factors include financial rewards and benefits, training and professional growth opportunities, and the many distinctive cultural elements that make our workplace compelling.
UT Southwestern ranks among the top academic medical centers in the world.
UT Southwestern faculty includes five members (one Emeritus) awarded Nobel Prizes since 1985.
UT Southwestern is a premier research institution pioneering breakthroughs in cancer, cardiovascular disease, neurosciences, and women’s health.
Foundation for Growth
- Aggressive 10-year strategic plan to become a top 10 academic medical center
- Operating budget of more than $1.86 billion
- About 12,100 employees
- New $800 million, 12-story, 460-bed state-of-the-art William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital slated to open in 2014
- Designed to optimize the experience for patients and their families, the William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital also will incorporate the latest medical technologies—from robotics in the operating rooms to imaging and tracking systems—that support safety, quality assessment, and cost-efficiency goals.
- Recent expansion includes the BioCenter and Research Tower on North Campus
- BioCenter provides a vital resource for commercial development of discoveries made at UT Southwestern Medical Center and elsewhere so that these advances can ultimately be available to benefit patients
- New Research Tower houses basic research labs for faculty and provides educational opportunities for graduate students
Educational, Patient Care, and Research Leadership
- Nationally ranked or rated as high performing in 12 specialties by U.S. News & World Report
- Receives more than $418 million per year to fund approximately 3,500 research projects
- Trains nearly 4,600 medical, graduate, health professions students, residents, and fellows each year
- Faculty and residents provide care to more than 90,000 hospitalized patients and oversee nearly 1.9 million outpatient visits a year
- Home to National Cancer Institute-designated Harold C. Simmons Cancer Center
- 20 members of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS), one of the highest honors attainable by an American scientist
Dynamic Work Environment
Community Event Participation
More than 20 community walks available each year supporting a wide range of health-related causes.
Employee Advisory Council
An elected group representing all areas of the campus. The Council advises and recommends new programs and initiatives to the President for employee welfare and engagement.
Campus-wide program to recognize employees who go above and beyond to provide service to their customers and colleagues.
Meritorious service awards are presented beginning at 5 years of service through the quarter-century club.
Opportunity to support discovery by participating in confidential research studies with UT Southwestern.
Competitive wages and compensation package.
Additional pay that increases with your length of service.
Paid Time Off
Up to 14 paid holidays and personal days, in addition to vacation and sick leave.
Lifetime annuity pension plan with a substantial employer match.
On-Site Fitness Center
Providing a wide range of exercise equipment, classes, and programs.
On-site Employee Assistance Program
Offering advice, short-term counseling, and referrals to employees and families in need.
Two centers conveniently located on our campus with a choice of program types and costs.
Employee Discount Program
Show your badge and receive significant discounts at a wide variety of area restaurants, lodging, entertainment, and other services.
Employee Wellness Program
Free on-site health screenings and educational programs to help employees improve their well-being.
Assessments, training, and one-on-one counseling for growing your career.
Programs for those in management or interested in moving into a management role, including a variety of training programs, assessments, coaching, and an on-site masters program delivered in partnership with UT Dallas and tailored to UT Southwestern.
Organizational Training and Development
Numerous continuous training and learning opportunities for all employees.
Benefit to advance your education with $2,000 per year in tuition assistance for approved educational programs.